The Baldock Blog

One of the first blogs about Baldock, Herts..

Monday, November 07, 2005

The Long and Winding Road

Some of you will have noticed that my blog entries here are infrequent. This is for two reasons at the moment. The first is that I am hoping for outside contributions to take precedence over my own, as I feel this should be a blog that is more representative of Baldock. The second is that I am currently fighting a by-election and I want to therefore (tied in with first reason), avoid bias where I can on this blog.
That said, I thought I would mention a road which I discussed with one Clothall resident this evening, and that is the road at Orwell Hill.
It has never, to be honest, a road I have felt safe on. Not even at 4:45AM, on the way to Stansted Airport, when there is no traffic about. The reason for this is that I am generally wary of country lanes being used as race tracks by the irresponsible, added to the fact that the two lane A603 has some pretty sharp bends.
So I was pleased to read some of my concerns being mentioned in the 'Royston Crow' today, where several hundred heavy vehicles travel daily on the A603. Not only that but the article mentions that the road is an accident spot for speeding motorists. Again, the racetrack syndome amongst some drivers. To be fair a speeding camera has been set up, but last week someone set it on fire.
This is an issue that local villages around Baldock in the Weston area can petition on, but I think it is clear that something more substantial needs to be done than having a speed camera.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home